- Proposal each course (10 min each);
- There is reading list;
- About Econometrics of IS;
- How to design experiments:
- EC 9A3 Advanced Econometric Theory - Lecture Slides
- CrossValidation:Difference-in-difference-in-differences estimator
COS Analysis? Baseline?
- Randomization ~ statistical test
- Regression discontinuity design
- Theoretical Modeling vs behavior vs experiment vs empirical
- How do we identify the way we want to ~ social psychology ~ mental mapping
- impact of technology ~ topic is moving on ~ some of the topics are already understood ~ do good literature review
- treatment? ~ control? ~ outcome0
- Difference in differences (DID): before & after treatment, well controlled
- Firefox web browser (open source platform)~ extensions or add-ons
- Classification : open or close source
- Mechanism? ~ size or role of users
- Output: influence : positive or negative
- Rapid release strategy vs traditional way
- cross? experimental design
- whether the add-on supplier update their products in response to the rapid release of Firefox platform?
- 1 observation: add-on version number?
- Treatment: hit of newest review / high-quality
- Control : no review
- Social psychology ~ ab test? ~ Online experiment, see Web-based experiments
Economic analysis of social interactions1
- Charles F.Manski, Journal of Economic
- Empirical analysis
- mutually exclusive but collectively exhaustive11
- 3 effects
Paying not to go to the gym2
- consumer behavior -> maximize utility (rational expectation vs irrational)
- theoretical prediction & empirical testing & survey
- behavior IO?
- Personal view:
- How to quantify the utility function?
- not like financial product: stock, bond or derivatives, the utility of going to gym should also include non-economic factor (price), such as the potential chance of keeping the right of going to gym
Observational Learning: Evidence from a Randomized Natural Field Experiment3
- One restaurant: whether the randomization is not good enough?
- Control group: pre-experiment data, one week
- Raking treatment table vs salience treatment table
- One week data
- Difference-in-difference-in-differences (DDD)31
- Coincidence, observational learning (learn the quality, more about yourself)
- conformity (more from others), compliance, salience32
The Spread of Behavior in an Online Social Network Experiment4
- Small world network model
- Network vs photonics??
- Social reinforcement
1. Manski, C. (2000). Economic analysis of social interactions. Journal of Economic Perspectives, 115–136. ↩
11. Quora|What’s the difference between mutually exclusive events and collectively exhaustive events? ↩
2. DellaVigna, S., & Malmendier, U. (2006). Paying not to go to the gym. American Economic Review, 96(3), 694–719. ↩
3. Cai, H., Chen, Y., & Fang, H. (2009). Observational Learning: Evidence from a Randomized Natural Field Experiment. American Economic Review. ↩
4. Centola, D. (2010). The Spread of Behavior in an Online Social Network Experiment. Science, 329(5996), 1194–1197. ↩